The following outline was presented to small group leaders for possible discussions on Thursday, October 31, 2019.
Small Group Questions
Southside Christian School
Thursday, October 31, 2019
“A Church Raised By Grace”
1 And you were dead in the trespasses and sins 2 in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience— 3 among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body[a] and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind.[b] 4 But[c] God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, 5 even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved— 6 and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, 7 so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.
[a] Ephesians 2:3 Greek flesh
[b] Ephesians 2:3 Greek like the rest
[c]Ephesians 2:4 Or And
1. I highly recommend doing an icebreaker or game to start this week off. These open the door for relationships.
2. Highlights/lowlights since we last met?
3. What is something challenging you are working through right now?
4. What is one-three words your best friends would use to describe you?
1. Read Ephesians 2:1-10 together out loud together.
a. Ask your students how they would put this passage in your own words.
b. What do these verses tell us about ourselves?
c. How do you define/understand “grace”?
d. Brainstorm who we are apart from Christ?
e. Brainstorm who we are in Christ?
f. Why has God done what he has done?
1. Where in your life do you feel like you’re getting what you deserve? Where do you want to earn it?
2. Do you ever feel like you have to earn God’s grace? Why would we do this?
3. How does the concept of earning love, affection, grace, and mercy impact your relationship with God and/or others?
4. Have you ever experienced God’s grace? What did that look like?
5. Where are you struggling to receive God’s grace?
1. Leader Note: “In the conclusion of this passage, Paul says we are God’s masterpiece created for good works that God prepared for us to walk in. The gospel has raised us from the dead and given us a new identity. What would it look like to live your life knowing your identity is a “masterpiece”?