On Thursday, March 21, 2019, Southside Christian middle school small groups and high school small groups gathered during the chapel period to discuss questions related to “idolatry.” If you would like to consider those questions, please read on. . . .
Small Group Questions
Southside Christian School
Simpsonville, South Carolina
Thursday, March 21, 2019
1. Highlights/lowlights since we last met?
2. If there was one thing you could do with your life, and you know it would succeed, what would you do?
1. We see idols all the time in the Bible. Do you think there are idols today people are dealing with? If yes, what do they look like today?
Leader note: A few ways Tim Keller defines an idol:
i. Anything more important to you than God
ii. Anything that absorbs your heart and imagination more than God
iii. Anything you seek to give you what only God can give
iv. Whatever makes you say: “If only I had that thing, then I’ll feel my life has meaning and significance.”
vi. Lust for achievement/success
vii. Seeking approval of man for fear of man
2. Have someone read OR paraphrase Romans 1:25 —
“. . .they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen.” (English Standard Version)
How does Paul describe idolatry in Romans?
Leader note: “The Exchange of truth for a lie is the essence of Idolatry.”
3. Have someone read OR paraphrase 1 John 2:1-2 —
1 My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. 2 He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world.
What hope does this passage give us as we wrestle with idols in our lives?
1. What are some of the evidences that we worship idols?
2. What are some of the idols PEOPLE tend to worship?
3. What are some of the idols YOU tend to worship?
4. Based on what we read today, how would you explain what Jesus has done and is doing for us?
1. What are some specific idols you currently have in your life?
2. What does the Gospel say to you and the idol with which you are wrestling?
3. Pray as a group for victory over those idols!